Thursday, September 18, 2014

School Days

So we are 4 weeks into school, so I guess its time for an update.

This year is going so well for all of the kids and I am do grateful. Things at definitely looking up and I think we are finally in a time where the kids are growing up and finding their groove in school

Katelynn is 7 and in the 2nd grade. She is doing really well with her school work and her grades show her desire to do her best. She is very smart and things come easily mostly. She is better at writing and reading than math, but she will get there in math too. So far she has had one folder sign for talking, so she is doing great with that too. Her teacher is from a foster family and she has 2 or 3 adopted siblings. Katelynn loves that they have that in common.

Daniel has made it almost 4 weeks with only one warning for behavior. This is a great improvement from the past years. He is really excelling with Haley being at a different school. In the past she was a distraction for him and he leaned on her experiences to dictate how good or bad he would be at something. His grades are good and we are still working on him being organized and able to not be distracted and finish his work. We got progress reports today and he has taken them as a reminder that he needs to focus on his work and do his best. In the past he would have been discouraged and even gotten angry, so this shows he is taking responsibility for his work. I love it! His teacher is a tactile learner like he is and understands if he needs to move away to not be distracted and let's him move around some without having to always work at his desk. Her son has ADD so she deals with his tendency to be distracted very well. I think she is going to be very good for him. He is aiming for the A/B Honor Roll and I know he can do it! He is stepping up and becoming a leader and I love what I am seeing.

Haley is doing really well at school. Her grades are great and I feel like she is stepping up as well. The transition to the new school has made her grow up and take responsibility for herself. She is learning that she can memorize well ( which we already knew) and she is using that to her advantage inn her school work. She has made a 100 on the past two vocabulary quizzes and is so proud of herself. I am glad she is getting to know what it feels like to work hard for something and achieve it. There are great things in store for that girl! (On a side note I am so glad Mrs. Martinez took interest in my Haley girl to help me make the best decision for her. She is thriving!)

I have decided this year to be intentional about spending one on one time with each of the kids. My first step towards this is eating lunch with each of them once a six weeks. My job isn't so far away that I can't easily make this happen and they get so excited when I show up. So far I've only eaten with Daniel, but he really seemed to benefit from the time. I am learning that little things like this can make a big difference for my kids. I am not the same mom they met almost three years and I hope they are able to see all the things I am trying to do to make sure they know that they are loved and cherished.

My kids are the best and I am so grateful God let me be their mom! He always has a plan and has blessed me so much by entrusting those kids to me (us). They are irreplaceable and I don't know what I'd do without them.

No comments: