Sunday, January 25, 2015

Jesus Paid it All

Jesus paid it all.
All to him I owe.
Sin had left a crimson stain.
He washed it white as snow.

For Christmas, I got the Newsboys CD Hymns. At first I didn't love it because of the way the hymns were being redone. They were making them too modern or contemporary. I tend to like hymns more traditional or with a black gospel feel.  But over time, I have come to enjoy at least a few of the songs which leads me to this, my latest post in the collection of writings about hymns.

I'm not sure that I knew this hymn as a young child or if I've recently heard it for the first time (I know we didn't sing it at the church I grew up in, but I must have heard it somewhere.) The words that keep resonating in my head are "all" and "stain."

All - without exception, everything, big or small.

Every sin, every shortcoming, every failure I have ever had or will ever experience were paid for by the sacrifice of Jesus. There is no sin that the blood is not enough to cover.

StaIn - a permanent mark or scar. Unable to be removed by any amount of work or persuasion.

But God. In his grace. I am made white as snow. Covered in the righteousness of Jesus.

I am a doer. I like to make things happen and work to see accomplishments reached. But there is nothing I can ever do to cleanse myself of the filthy stain that sin he left.

But for the blood of Jesus.

Because of him, I  am enough. I am chosen, called for a greater purpose than I could ever create for myself.

Jesus paid it all and I am free to serve him without fear of rejection. Or punishment. Knowing that he is for me.

Realizing we are nothing without Him is a humbling place. And a freeing place where we are able to shift the responsibility of our success on his very capable shoulders and learn to trust and obey as he leads.

Oh praise the one who paid my debt
And raised this life up from the dead.

No comments: