Monday, September 26, 2016

More Than a Silent Partner

Parenting is tricky, especially as your kids get older. They don't need you in physical ways like to feed them or change them and so they become independent.

And as a parent, I choose to let them be responsible and take care of a lot of things by themselves. I'm more than willing to help, but the times when I feel needed by the big kids are few and far between. (I'm not complaining, because I am definitely still needed by the little ones and that keeps me busy.)

So on Saturday when Haley asked me to play with her hair, I was glad to oblige. I played with her hair for an hour or so and we did funky braids and all sorts of things. Facebook and Pinterest are full of different braids and ideas. When Katelynn got home, she asked me to do her hair as well, so I did that too. Then, last night, Haley asked me to braid her wet hair so it would look curly today.

I love spending time with my girls, even though they are needing me less and less. I guess when they can make good decisions on their own, it is evidence that I've done something right (or of God's power despite my failing efforts.)

No comments: