Tuesday, April 19, 2016

God's Desires

Lord, show me your desires and let them become my desires too.

We've recently started a study on prayer in our Sunday School class and it has been so timely for me. I've learned so much or maybe just was reminded of things I hadn't thought about in a while.

As a parent, I would say my main ongoing prayers are for my kids. I have so many things I want for them. They are all good things and all according to God's word and general will. But I feel like sometimes, I get so caught up praying for what I want to happen or what I think should take place that I don't seek out and ask God what he wants for them so that I can pray according to his will and not my desires.

In reality, any desire that I have for my kids apart from God's is selfish of me. And convincing God to see things my way or take my suggestion isn't what prayer is about at all.

God wants his will to be accomplished in earth by his power. Prayer doesn't change God's will, but changes our will and desires to what God wants. Then we can pray according to his will and he can use our prayers to accomplish what he desires to do already.

The other thing that really stuck out to me this week is that God is a big picture God. Sometimes it seems like God's will is not accomplished in certain situations in our lives. When that happens, we need to keep our eyes open to see what happens next because God will is being accomplished on a bigger scale than we look at.

God, thank you for choosing to use the prayers of your people to accomplish your plans on earth! Help us get in line with you and pray your desires into reality in us!

No comments: