Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Broader Horizons

I don't know how else to say it except to say that the last year and a half have been life changing for me. For a person who naturally likes order and routine, being forced to change in so many ways has been so good for me. I've grown spiritually so much in that time frame (maybe more in breadth than depth). I think that some times we get so used to our normal and we focus on growing in areas of strength or comfort more than growing by letting God push us into new and different things.

Before, I was in a place where I was getting opportunity to preach 3-4 times a year at my home church. Since then I've preached once. I didn't feel like that ministry was over, but I was in a time of personal stretching and growing in different areas. When we were without a pastor I spoke a few times to fill in. And really, God has been using me in different ways, so I haven't really had the desire to preach. Just been focusing on different things. I am not complaining at all, and really didn't feel like the opportunity was over, but just that I was in a different season.

So I have a couple of potential preaching opportunities coming up and I've started asking God to lead my study as I prepare. I asked God to show me what "they" (whoever that may be) need to hear and God has just started speaking like he never stopped. I'm not saying that God hasn't been speaking, but I've been kinda in a self learning/growing mode and God has been speaking to me personally but not really for others. When I was preaching more, I would constantly be putting sermons together (at least in pieces) waiting for the opportunity. I kind of wondered if God would still choose to speak to me for that purpose and I'm convinced the answer is a loud YES. It's truly an amazing honor that he would choose me.

So I'm excited to see what God's going to do. In areas where I thought he was done or had moved me on, I guess he's just expanding my horizons. Praise God! Lord, whatever you want, where ever you lead, I will follow.

No comments: