Monday, April 24, 2017

It Only Takes a Small Spark

Yesterday I was teaching my Sunday School class and just sharing some things that are coming in the near future with them. And their response was less than enthusiastic. I don't think they were being negative but there responses were pretty typical at RLC.

And this is why God has brought us to this place.

I understand hesitation when something new is thrown at you. We did a personality profile test/study at work a few years back and mine says "Hesitant to change. Give her your ideas and then leave her with it so she can process. She will come around and then be your most loyal supporter." Yeah, this defines me perfectly. :)

For me, the question is why are we so disinterested and apathetic to anyone's new ideas? Our responses squash their enthusiasm and make it difficult for them to pursue anything out of the norm. No wonder things are the same! We discourage change and progress by our attitudes. And attitudes are contagious! Good and bad. Positive and negative.

I've heard so many times how people want to grow the church and see change in our impact, but anything different or "not like we used to do it" gets a shrug or a "okay." We can't half-heartedly change or it isn't change at all. It's enough different to appease our need to feel like we are doing something without anything really being done. The appearance of change without change.

For me it comes down to a few things:
1. Do I trust God and trust that he is leading us? Yes
2. Do I trust my leaders are being led by God? Yes
Then what are we waiting for? The worse case scenario is that "it" (whatever new thing is presented to us) doesn't work and we go back to what we are comfortable with. THAT IS THE WORSE THING!! Or maybe the worse thing is doing nothing at all.

It only takes one person, filled with the power of God and enthusiastic about the new things coming to start a fire. And it looks like I'm gonna have to be that person (well in addition to the Pastor). I hope I'm not alone. Come on, let's do this!

No comments: