Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Smile!

I'll be the the first to admit that I don't know how to receive a compliment. I usually disagree or make some comment discounting what was said or the person giving the compliment. I refuse to accept there is something good about me when I should just answer with a simple "thank you."

On the flipside,  when I'm having a day where I feel "not good enough" I divulge my uncertainty to friends, hoping they'll give me a compliment and then argue with them about who's perspective about my value is correct. Seeking validation and then refusing to accept it when given.
And I know I'm not the only one who does this.

Both of these situations arise from our inability to see ourselves as God sees us. When we speak or think poorly of ourselves, we are telling God he didn't do a good job. We are insulting his creation and in turn insulting him.   He made us perfect according to his plan and calling for each of us. Exactly as he wanted us to be.

God knows we need affirmation and so he has offered it to us. Was sending his son for you not proof enough that you are valuable? Is his unending love not confirmation enough that you are amazing to him?

And we have to learn that his affirmation of us is all we need. We can't let others opinions of us, good of bad, be the source for our identity. Because the creator gets to decide the value of his creation.

And if we can't see our worth, how will we ever see value in anyone else?

Next time someone gives you a compliment, just say thank you and smile because God thinks you are amazing!

No comments: