Thursday, February 24, 2011

Experiences

We got a call today from Mala. She is the regional adoption coordinator at our adoption agency. (Breathe. It's not what you think.) So we are going to be giving some respite care for a foster parent in the area in a couple of weekends. We are going to be watching a 4 year old boy over the weekend so the foster mom can get a break. I think we met him before when his foster mother spoke at one of our adoption classes in the fall. We both thought he was the cutest little boy and I wanted to play with him then, so I'm kinda excited. And here is where I start freaking out. This is when I realize my house is so not ready for a 4 year old boy and I don't have a clue how to handle him. Mala says it'll be a good experience for us and I have to agree with her. Part of me says, "you thought you were going to adopt siblings and you can't handle the thought of one little boy." Somehow it's different mentally, emotionally when the goal is watching a little boy for a weekend as opposed to the potential to adopt a kid. Yeah, I don't have a clue what I am asking for or what I am getting myself into, but God does. The adoption front has been quiet for a month or so, and that's okay. Mala actually asked if I thought she forgot about us. If you remember, when this whole adoption process started B.J. and I agreed that we would make ourselves available and God would bring us kids if this was his will. And if not, the kids wouldn't come and the doors wouldn't open. We are still holding on to that and the possibility that God just wanted us to be willing. He does things for reasons beyond our understanding. And sometimes he is seeing how much we trust him and how much we rely on him over what is normal and comfortable for us. So here come the new experiences and here comes God's hand, providing and helping us when we feel we are in way over our heads.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome! Hold on for the ride! :D So happy for you! I can't wait to hear all about it.