Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Surrender

I hate losing, like really hate it. I am very competitive at things I can win. Now, I am not like a little kid who throws a fit when they don't win, but I am generally not satisfied unless I can win. And if I can't win I find a way to train or work at something until I can win. So surrender sounds to me like I am giving up, like I have been unable to conquer something and that doesn't sit well with my natural tendencies to win and achieve anything I set my mind to. But God is asking for surrender. And not just the tough stuff that we are struggling with. It is easier to give God the stuff that we are uncomfortable with and the struggles. But he also wants to us to give him the things we think we have under control. The things we want. The desires of our heart. The things we've prayed for and seen God bring to us. Like Abraham and Isaac. Abraham waited and trusted God for a son and when God provided, as he always does, God asked for Abraham to surrender his son. I can imagine praying and waiting for something (I am there right now, actually) and then God fulfills his word and provides that thing. You are elated and excited to see the dream come true and if you aren't careful you let go of God and hold onto that thing. Because it has been your hope for so long. Because you finally have satisfaction. And God asks you to surrender that too. You feel betrayed. Like God has provided just to take it back. It's not fair. But you realize that your true victory, your true freedom, is in surrendering it ALL to God and letting him have his way and lead you according to his will. If you'll remember, God didn't take Isaac from Abraham, but was testing to see if he was devoted to God or his promised child. God is asking for surrender of all and trust in him and his ways. Because God knows more and his ways are always better. Yes, he provides, but we have to keep our eyes on God and not fall in love with his provision.
All to Jesus I surrender. All to Him I freely give. I will ever love and trust Him. In his presence daily live.
I surrender all. I surrender all. All to thee my blessed savior. I surrender all.

No comments: