Saturday, January 7, 2012

Transition

I don't expect this will be a long post or something of great depth, but I just wanted to take a moment and document some of the things my kids have been saying and doing lately. The transition has been difficult as I am sure you can imagine.  

The other day D said something about us being foster parents and I had to correct them.  Poor baby, he's been moved around so much he doesn't have a clue what is going on.  I keep telling them we are their forever parents, and I think they understand that most of the times, but this is a transition like no other before, so I'm sure it's confusing.  Anyways, lately, I've been feeling like our kids finally get it. Or at least have moments where it all sinks in.

K told me today she wished she came to our house first and skipped all the other foster parents.  Baby, I am sorry you had to get moved around some too, but you aren't going anywhere else, so you don't need to worry.

I have been having to discipline H more lately because she has been quite sassy. (Hello! I have an almost 8 year old girl.  Can I get an Amen?)  It isn't rude or out of control like fits some of the younger ones have, but just little remarks that are totally disrespectful and I am not letting her get away with anymore. So she's had some crying moments as I've taken away her toys or jewelry or made her sit in time out.  But almost immediately after, she is all hugs and lovin'.  To me, that says she knows we are doing our best and she is safe here and not going anywhere. It's okay if we don't always agree, but that doesn't mean we love each other less.  We are stuck together for good.  I think it is harder for kids who have been moved around to get that than kids who've been in one constant home since birth.  It took a little while for her to get there, but we are past her staying angry and pouty for so long after she is disciplined, or I think we are. 

D sure does hate writing sentences. I mean hate it.  And that lets me know it is the perfect discipline for him.  Is it bad that I want him to hate his discipline?  I guess I find some joy in knowing he isn't having fun while he is being disciplined.  I mean, its supposed to teach him what he shouldn't do and not be a reward for him, right?

Tonight as I was putting D to bed he said he promised that tomorrow he would have a good attitude and be a good listener.  That is definitely what I want to hear. Does my heart good! He really does want to do and say the right thing, and over time, I'm sure he'll break some of his bad attitude habits.

Until about 4 this afternoon, I hadn't seen my kids since yesterday morning when I took them to school.  They spent last night at Nana and Papa's so BJ and I could go out for his birthday.  Then today BJ and Nana and the kids went to Bops.  So when they got home today, I could tell they missed me and it felt so good.  Not because I think they didn't have fun, because I'm sure they did, but just because it lets me know I am loved.  The three of them smothered me with hugs and kisses and D just wanted to sit by me and touch me and be hugged.  I had so much going on today, but I have to admit I missed them too. Not the sassy mouths or the way they annoy each other to death, but the gentle requests or when they are being sweet to us or each other, which is quite a bit these days. I think the thing I missed the most today was the quiet songs they hum or sing as they are going about the house or playing.  Maybe its something they made up, maybe its a real song with the words all messed up because of what they think the words are. I love the fact my kids love music.  Just one of the ways we know they totally belong with us.

No comments: