Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Are you washed?

This morning I had this old hymn in my head.

Are you washed
in the blood
in the soul cleansing blood of the Lamb?
Are your garments spotless?
Are they white as snow?
Are you washed in the blood of the Lamb?

For someone who was raised in church, this seems like such a given almost. But do I/we really get what this means?  Probably not.

I CAN'T DO IT!!

I think the hardest thing for us to get our minds wrapped around is the fact that no matter how much I do for God, no matter how "good" I am, I cannot wash myself of my sins. I cannot earn God's forgiveness or cleansing. It's impossible. My sins are worthy of death and I can't change that no matter how hard I try.

GOD MAKES ME WORTHY!!

And once we get that we can't and never will be good enough by our own doing, we have a hard time accepting the fact that because of the sacrifice of Jesus, because of his blood, we are worthy of the sacrifice Jesus gave. We are worthy by his grace and mercy.

Because of the blood, which washes away our past, which makes us new in Christ, we can come boldly before God, knowing that he sees us clothed in his righteousness.

And he says we are worth every sacrifice, every drop of blood.

And what He says is all that matters.

No comments: