Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Out of the Whirlwind

Job 38:1 Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind and said...

Ever been in a storm? I think the loudest place you can be during a hail storm is in a car. I remember one time when Bj and I were dating and we got caught in his car when the heavens opened up and the rain started pouring down. And then the hail started hitting the car. Although we were sitting next to each other in his GrandAm, we could hardly hear what the other was saying. It was loud!

I know I hear a lot about being still before God and letting him speak, but today this verse reminded me that God can speak to us from the middle of the whirlwind when nothing in our lives is still or quiet.

And that's where I am right now. Everything is loud and busy and unsettled.

And I believe He'll yell over the storm if he has to in order to let us know He's with us and hasn't left us. Scripture tells us he kinda likes to show up in storms. To tell us not to fear. To push us to trust him and get out of the boat. To catch us when our faith wavers and we find ourselves sinking.

I looked back a few verses to see if I could find out anymore about Job's storm and didn't see any indication of a physical storm. I wonder if this whirlwind was an emotional turmoil Job was going through. He'd done nothing wrong and yet his friends accused him of sins he didnt commit. His reputation was being drug through the dirt and as much as he tried, Job had a hard time understanding the reason for the struggles he was facing. And God was silent as Job just had to trust God without hearing any confirmation he was still there.

And then God spoke.

There are 2 chapters full of God reminding Job of His almighty power. Verse after verse describing how big God is and how little Job is/we are in comparison. Job had no reason to worry if God was big enough to meet his needs. Wondering if God would really be the God Job knew so well, even in the storm.

Yes, even in the storm, God is big enough. Big enough to restore Job and his possessions double. And big enough to handle whatever whirlwind I find myself in, too!

No comments: