Saturday, June 3, 2017

Connection

Today I made chocolate chip cookies and invitations to church and went on a mission to meet a few of my neighbors. This was definitely a step out of my comfort zone, and it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

Man, we sure let the devil talk us out of things and convince us of how stupid we will look and how embarrassed​ we will be. And his intimidation techniques are all based on lies. But we choose to believe him and fall into disobedience because we are scared.

I was pushed out of the comfort of my nest today by a few things. First, I said in my previous blog I was going to do this and because keeping my word is really important​ to me, I really didn't have a choice. Second, convictions are useless if they don't lead us to action.

Our churches are full of people who are dissatisfied with what they see and yet, none of them are willing to do something about it. I couldn't be that person. Not this time. And the more you are willing to take a step of faith, the easier it is to do so in the future.

I've struggled over the years with the thought of door to door evangelism. I know that sometimes God uses this to reach people, but it feels like being a door to door salesman. And honestly, I don't even answer the door when they come around.

I don't think inviting people to church or witnessing should feel like we are trying to meet a sales quota or are imitating pushy car salesmen. Because we are "selling" love and forgiveness, something everyone wants and needs to real people, who are more than a number or trophy to be added to our wall. We have to see the need and love the people. Make connection, build trust, and let them see and know the love we have experienced is available to them.

So for me, it all starts with building connection. Not fake connection but genuine connection because we love them enough to care and be their friend. So that's what I tried to do today, to meet new people and let them know I'm available, that I care, and want to be there if they need me for anything, big or small. So there is an avenue to be Jesus to them.

And I made a few connections today, have a few friends to keep in my prayers, and planted some seeds to be watched and watered in the coming days. I'm excited to see how these connections grow and God is able to use me to show his love.







No comments: