Friday, June 30, 2017

Full but Not Satisfied

Today I had Bethel Music's song In Over my Head playing over and over. Great song if you ever never heard it! One of the first lines really struck a chord with me.

I've come to this place in my life,
I'm full but I've not satisfied
This longing to have more of you.

It made me think about the difference between being full and satisfied. Usually when we are full, have filled our stomachs we are no longer searching for something to eat. We don't have room for anything else.

In the busy world we live in , it is very easy to live a full life. I try and be very intentional about not filling my life so full I don't have room for anything extra, but my life is pretty full. Between marriage, parenting 5 kids with different personalities and needs, church, and work, there really isn't much extra space in my life and we really don't have the kids over involved in any extra things, so I'm sure some of you are more full than I am.

Many of us have been told the lie (and we're convinced) that we will be satisfied if we get ourselves active in as many things as possible. But I've found that I can be full of the wrong things and not be any where close to satisfied. We have to actively choose where we will spend ourselves and pursue the only one who will satisfy our inner longings, God himself. 

You can be equally busy doing what seems right and good or doing what God has asked of you. One leaves you weary and tired and the other leaves you refreshed and fulfilled. Don't just do stuff to fill your time. It's not all the same. Who and what you pursue makes all the difference.






No comments: