Saturday, July 1, 2017

In Over My Head Part 2

Would you come and tear down the boxes that I have tried to put you in?
Let love come teach me who you are again.

Further and further my heart moves away from the shore.
Whatever it looks like, whatever may come I am yours.

I am a box maker. I like everything neat and tidy. It makes me feel in control. It gives the appearance I am in control, but the truth is that even when everything is in its place physically and mentally, I am still not in control. How do I know? Because getting it all together does not relieve the stress. Sure it feels better for a little while, but there are too many factors I do not have the power to change or manipulate that keep me from total control and power. Because as much as someone thinks they are in control, and it may look that way from our perspective,  there is another who holds the whole world in his hands.

So when we try to put God in a box, not only do we realize how little control we have, but we are failing to trust him and choosing to trust our ways. Saying we know better. Complete trust in God is the only place we have peace. And the only place God is allowed to show himself powerful and strong.

In my natural mind, not knowing causes me worry and stress.  But I have learned (the hard way by going around the same mountain again and again because I can be stubborn like that) that when I let God be God, I can follow him, not knowing where I am going (like Abraham did), and still feel safe and secure, at peace even if I don't know all the details.

Because I have tasted and seen that God is good. Because I have learned his character by studying his word. And I am choosing to give up the control I think I need so I can be fully His.

No comments: