Thursday, July 27, 2017

Cheerleader

Everyone needs a cheerleader or two. Someone who will come along and tell you to go for it, that you can do it, that it's okay, or will be okay. Someone who sees your value and encourages you to obey God, especially when his instructions don't make sense (that would be always Isaiah 55:8) and you are having doubts.

Some of my best cheerleaders over the years (and much more recently) have been authors and their books. Now I would never say that God's word comes second to a good book, but I definitely believe there is room for both. I'm not talking about good positive thinking books, but books that God uses to speak to us. It can be like having an in-depth heart to heart conversation with a fellow believer.

I've been reading a lot this year and more of the nonfiction variety than before. Leadership books. Parenting books. Books about grace and discipleship. Books about relationships and marriage. And I've been so encouraged by them. They push me to get in God's word, to obey God quickly and intentionally, to follow His ways.

So if you aren't reading to push yourself, to explore God's best for you, you are missing out. And maybe missing that little push you need to go to the next level in your Christian walk.

No comments: