Sunday, June 10, 2012

Next to Last Sunday

In two Sunday's we will be driving to and from a different house to church.  It's hard to believe we are really to that place in this transition.  Moving in less than two weeks. Amazing!

I don't think I've shared how God provided our house for us.  It was totally a God thing. First, our house was listed and sold in 4 days.  4 Days.  We sold our house on this past Thursday to one of my best friends from high school.  She needed to get some place new to live and really wanted to stop the cycle of renting a buy a house to have some stability.  We originally were going to move next summer and then her situation got a little more urgent and she really wanted to get into a house this summer. So we prayed about it and decided it would be easier in the long run if we could move this summer instead of next summer when we will have an additional person and their many many things. (On a side note, it is ridiculous the amount of stuff you need for a tiny baby. Ughh!)  So we prayed and found peace and started looking for houses as did she.  Long story short, she found some houses that fell through and brought her back to our house.  At the same time we were signing a contract with her to sell our house, we put a bid on a house we loved.  It was just over 2000 square feet and was move in ready.  We really felt it was a God send, and then our offer got rejected. At the same time we had another house were were considering as a back up plan, that fell through the same day.  Then I left for Wisconsin. (I know. Great timing!) We'd promised Shay to close by 06/07 and be out by the 10th and we didn't have a house to go to.  Because she is a great friend, she said she wouldn't kick us out until school started, but I still felt like we should move as fast as we could to keep our word, or as close to our word as we could.  While I was in Wisconsin, BJ found two houses and went to see them with our realtor. He eliminated one and really felt that the second was a good fit for us and maybe a perfect house for us.  I arrived back from Wisconsin on Sunday night, went to see the house at 9 that night and we put an offer on it immediately.  Long story short, this is the house God has given us.  It is 700 square feet more than the orginal two houses and we are paying $10,000 less.  It is so much more than I even thought we'd be able to afford or get, but once again God proves himself faithful.  So we are thrilled about the new house.  4/2.5/2, large back yard, formal living and dining (which will be where the piano and probably a reading area/game table will be) family room, good sized kitchen, and besides that one of the secondary bedrooms is 14 by 19 (plenty big for two kids).  It's in Arlington with Mansfield schools.

I think I have almost everything packed I can and allow us to still eat and such for 2 weeks. I may have 5-6 boxes that can still be packed, so I'm feeling pretty good about my progress.  I was not prepared when we moved to this house, and didn't want to be that person again.  I kinda felt bad the first time when my mom had to essentially pack up my kitchen because I hadn't even started it.  But in my defense, I'd never really moved before and it was the middle of tax season.

Ok, enough about moving.


Tonight was our first night of Kids Crusade (It's our equivalent of VBS except the kids are all together and not separated into classes by age.) The theme is God's army, so my kids got camouflage shirts from my parents to wear for the crusade.  Of course, my picky one, H, didn't want to wear hers because it wasn't pink.  She doesn't even like pink.  But K had one and hers was not sufficient.  My parents tried to find pink in her size and it just wasn't happening.  So H was not having it in her moody 8 year old way.  So I told them I would paint their shirts some to add some color and pizazz and she says she'll wear it (but I'm not holding my breath,) She wanted the writing in blue so I tried to give her what she wanted even though I would have chosen something different.  The girl's shirts are on the outside and say God's Girl and D's says God's Soldier (per his request)Here's how they turned out:

I think they'll be okay.  I hope the kids like them or I may throw someone across the room.  Ok, not really, but they don't seem to appreciate the extra work I go to for them.  I know, I know. Welcome to parenthood.

I don't know what has come into D, but he has definitely taken a turn in the right direction. I'd like to say my prayers are finally paying off. On Saturday he just made up his mind that he was gonna try to do what he was asked and not complain.  He is doing really well correcting immediately when he is disciplined instead of fighting me.  I asked him why he decided to have a better attitude about life and he said that he wanted to make me happy and didn't want to write any more sentences. Ha!  I guess that finally paid off.  After the mother's day banquet where I learned another parent had given her son 500 sentences, I started to up the ante.  I guess I was being too easy, so I changed to start with 10 and add 10 at a time if they either don't do them or complain while doing them.  I also have decided to not let the frustration between us escalate before I decide to discipline.  At that point, they are frustrated, I am frustrated, and nothing gets resolved.  They are too mad to do what I ask and my patience is shot.  So they now get one warning and when they don't obey they get sentences.  There is a little grace there, but really what I say is what I mean and they will obey or write sentences.

You know that D loves to create things. Today, he decided he was worthy of his own measurement system.  Not US or Metric, but we are now measuring in D's.  Here's the rulers he made and gave BJ and I today. I asked him if he had a ruler he went by and he said no, he just did how many lines in between numbers he wanted.  I guess you could call it creative license. Such a fun kid!

Adoption is coming up this week, hopefully.  Still no for sure on the date.  Nothing like waiting until the last minute. I love being spontaneous! (Can you sense the sarcasm?) Hmmmmm.

No comments: