Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Leading into the Unknown

At church on Sunday, Kim shared a verse in Isaiah that has stuck with me.  It is a very powerful verse and seems to be so pertinent right now.  At least in my Christian journey. I feel like a lot of us are being led by God into new territory, the unknown things that he has for us.  And this verse definitely speaks of this.
Isaiah 42:16  Israel is blind. So I will lead them along paths they have not known before.  I will guide them on roads they are not familiar with.  I will turn the darkness into light as they travel. I will make the rough places smooth. Those are the things I will do. I will not desert my people.
Ever been in a place where you are spiritually blind? In this time of my life I know that I am right where God wants me and yet I can't see the next step. Because I am blind to what God is going to do next. And that is okay. It requires that I trust him completely. And that is what he's trying to teach me. If the dramatic changes in my life in the last 15 months weren't enough change to through me into a place of total dependence on him, I don't know what will.

I especially like the part that says he will turn the darkness into light while I travel.  To me, this says he will give me clarity and direction as I am following one step at a time in obedience.  It does not say he will give me revelation while I sit around and do nothing, but as I travel. As I continue to walk after him, doing what I know he has told me do. Waiting does not mean we do nothing, but that we do the last thing he told us to do until we know differently what we are to be doing. And we obey his direction for all believers found in his word.  And he will give direction and show us what to do next as we follow him to the unknown plans he has for us.  The unknown can be scary, but with God, we can trust that the unknown things he has for us are greater than we could ever imagine.

No comments: