Monday, February 25, 2013

Relationship

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own;
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.
Spending time with God is a treasure. A vital part of my every day life. Because the relationship I have with Him is mutual. It's not me talking to a wall or spouting out prayers from rote memory but having a friendship with someone who cares for me and wants to talk to me as much as I want and need to talk to Him.

God has been speaking to me using older songs lately. I love when God takes something I've read or sang many times and just opens my eyes to see something I haven't seen before. This time God showed me that when I spend time with God, it's not just me who benefits, but God also gets joy.  When we spend time together we both, God and I, share in the joy. There is nothing I want more than to bring God joy and when I spend time with Him, that is exactly what I am doing. Sharing in joy with God that no one else will ever experience or know the way we do. 

When we spend our days together, God walks with me. Not ahead of me calling me to hurry up. Not on the sidelines shouting orders, but with me. Each step of the way. God talks with me. Not at me shouting out commands or belittling me for my mistakes. But loving me and sharing conversation with me. And the thing he continues to reassure me is that I am his.  Why do I need to know that I belong to him? Because sometimes I feel lost. I feel out of place or misunderstood. I'm sure we all do. But God reminds me that I am his and he loves me because he made me. I am his creation, his prized possession.

God desires relationship with me, with you, so much that he draws us to himself. He tugs at our hearts and calls us to come to him because he wants our friendship, our love, as much as we need his. Because that's why he created us.  So he wouldn't have to be alone. I am not in any way assuming that God needs anything, because afterall, he is God and has the ability to not need or want anything, but he chooses to be pleased with having a relationship with us.

So we don't have to live lonely lives, but we can walk day by day with God, sharing our heart with him and knowing that his love is so much more fulfilling than any other relationship will ever  be.

No comments: