Thursday, June 5, 2014

Another Year Gone

My kids have made it through another year of school (well, except for their half day tomorrow that they don't even need to take their back packs for) and we as parents and grandparents have survived as well.  This past week, I had 3 different awards ceremonies on 3 different days.  I am so glad that I am able to attend these for my kids.

 Katelynn's awards were first. She got the excellent speller award, helping hands award, good citizenship award, and science award. She has really loved having Mrs. Brittain this past year for 1st grade. I talked briefly with Mrs. Jones (Daniel's 2nd grade teacher) today and I have a feeling Katelynn will have her next year.  She is such a good student and really thrives in a school setting, so I am sure she will do great with whatever teacher she gets. Mrs. Jones would be nice just because I feel like I already know her some.


Daniel was so excited to receive the art award (that would be the medal around his neck that he almost doesn't want to take off.) He also received the award for mastering his multiplication facts. He had Mrs. Grimaldo for 3rd grade (the same teacher as Haley had). He has also matured to the point that I have stopped giving him his focus vitamins and he has (for the most part) been able to still do well in school without being all over the place. (Honestly, he would have bad days even with the vitamins, just fewer of them.) I really hope he is maturing and just learning to make better choices and letting God help him when he is anxious or frustrated about something. We have been talking a lot about self-control being a fruit of the spirit and how when we are close to God, the fruit of the spirit will be more present in our lives. He is really growing up.


Haley received a medal for completing the multiplication and division parts of Big Brains (a computer based video game that helps the kids practice their math facts.) She loves that game and it shows. She spent many hours on it and I'm glad that it was able to help solidify the facts in her brain and that she received a medal for her hard work. Haley really likes Mrs. Roysdon, who she initially was a little unsure of. She is going to miss Mrs. Roysdon a lot a the new school and I think Mrs. Roysdon will miss her RG (random girl). 

We have decided to let Haley move on to 5th grade which means a new school for her next year. She has done a ton better in the month or so since we have had a diagnosis and she has received more help aimed at her learning disability. I am not sure if it is because of the help or because she now knows that I will hold her back if I need to in order for her to learn what she needs to so she can succeed in school and life. Either way, she seems to have matured a lot and realized that she needs to try her best, with or without a learning disability.

I am looking forward to a great school year next year. I really feel like things are normalizing around here and that they will all excel in the future.  My kiddos are growing up and I am so grateful for God's hand in their lives.

No comments: