Sunday, June 22, 2014

Happy Birthday Daniel!

How is it possible that as of today I have a 10, 9, and 7 year old and a 19 month old? My sweet Daniel turns 9 today.  They are all growing up so much, but since Daniel is the topic of this post, I want to take a moment and document how much my boy has changed. 

If you're new to my blog (and I'd guess that is very few of you if any at all), I have only had the privilege of being Daniel's mom for 2 years 8 months and 9 days. We adopted he and his older and younger sisters a few years back. I remember when we first met him, he was all smiles. His foster dad said something about Daniel that I will never forget. He said "When Daniel hugs you, you can really feel it." In other words, he loves deeply. I have since found this to be true in all areas of life. 

Daniel lives life to the fullest. He is completely loyal almost to a fault. He is very passionate and will defend his family and close friends to the death. This can be problematic when a simple bump turns into an intentional attack in his mind, but we are working on forgiving others and giving others second chances.

He is very gentle and sweet with Seth. Having a little brother has brought out the best in him. It has taught him that he is a leader and others are watching him. This has helped him learn to make better decisions. He is looking forward to the day when they can share a room and have bunk beds. He is such a good big brother.

Daniel is very compassionate with people he sees need help. His teacher told me that he stayed with the new kid at school all day, even giving up his recess to pat him on the back until he was okay and had stopped crying. He has the biggest heart!

Daniel is very good with math and his brain works so fast he struggles with showing his work or explaining how he got the answer, but he is usually right. He is also a very good reader. I expect that if he can get a work a bit on being distracted and paying attention that he will be an honor roll student next year.



Daniel, you seemed so little when we first met, but you at definitely growing up. You are learning to be a gentleman from your daddy and are a delight to have around. You are my oldest son and have taught me what that special bond between a mom and son is all about.  It excites me to hear you talking about helping Daddy lead the men's fellowship where you get a little older. I pray you will learn to love God more each day and never lose your compassion for others. You are loving them like God does and it is a gift that not everyone has. I love you, my big, strong Daniel!

No comments: