Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Boys, Boys Everywhere!!

Tonight I taught the boys class at church. Let me be honest: I really didn't want to do it, but just like any other challenge, tell me I can't and watch me at least give it my best shot (So I'm a little more determined and competitive than many).

I have heard horror stories about this group of rowdy boys. About how wound up and out of control they are. So my plan going on was to purpose build in a game or some other activity that would allow them to move but still be reinforcing the lesson in some way. I also wanted to give them a tactile way to reinforce the lesson while I taught it.

By the way they are also used to about 15 minutes of lesson and then 45 minutes of playing outside. Yeah, that wasn't going to fly with me so i knew I had their expectation of "normal" to fight against.

I taught about 1 Timothy 4:12 about them being an example to others around them. The verse lends itself to challenging the boys to step up and be leaders.

Overall, I think it went pretty well. They were mostly engaged and participated and I think they learned something, or I pray they did. Yes, there were a kid or two who started asking when church was over (only 20 minutes in) and a few off topic conversations I had to redirect, but I think it went pretty well.

The looks on their faces when I told them to stop whatever or be quiet was pretty funny. Some of them are just used to getting their way and I guess they didn't expect me to maintain control. No, I don't want to teach them each week, but now I know I can handle it.

Feels pretty good to accomplish something new.

No comments: