Tuesday, July 14, 2015

The Girl With Bangs

Last Wednesday I got a phone call from Haley with a dire question. (She's a preteen and everything is dramatic.) She asked me if my mom could cut her hair so she would have bangs.

For a while she has been complaining that kids make fun of her by calling her "forehead" I guess because they thought her forehead was large. I still don't see it but all it takes is one person saying something and then it catches on. And it made her insecure. So when my mom offered to cut her bangs, she was so excited! I gave her my permission and secretly hoped it would look good on her and not be a decision she regretted. I spent many years growing out my bangs and really she had been growing hers out since she became a part of our family (but they weren't short when she came.)

So much to our surprise, when my mom cut her bangs we realized that her hair (at least her bangs) were not totally straight but wavy instead. I've always thought her hair was pretty straight, but I guess it has some wave/curl to it.

And her bangs look really cute and make here look more her age. That makes this mom so excited! I know no preteen wants to look younger, but I really think her bangs do that for her. I feel like kids grow up so much earlier than they used to, especially kids from hard places with exposure that typical kids with Godly parents don't have. So I need her to stay young long enough so I can feel like she is grounded in God and not so easily persuaded by what is popular. And we started out behind parenting her. She has 7 years of other experiences I wasn't able to help her through or show her God's way regarding. So her growing up makes me a little nervous and scared.

I know God will keep her in the palm of his hands, but I don't want my little girl to grow up so fast. I'm very happy having an 11 year old that looks so cute with her new wavy bangs.

No comments: