Monday, August 24, 2015

School Reflections

So after I dropped my kids off at school this morning, I started praying. If I have learned anything about my kids, it is that I can never predict what they are going to do or say. This is the fifth school year we've had with them. You'd think eventually their attitudes and actions would get predictable and yet, I don't feel that way at all. I hate to admit it but I have lowered my standards for them, mostly because it is really stressful to be disappointed by your kids, at least if you are a perfectionist like I tend to be.

That sounds really negative, and I don't mean to be that way. Maybe I should say that I'm trying to step back and praying for them to be self motivated to be their best. And expecting great surprises but trying not to be so pushy with my goals for them and let them set goals and work to achieve them.

Today I got a good report from each kid and they are all pretty positive about the school year. The girls have both set some goals for themselves including As and Bs and some good behavior things I'm really excited for them to work for and achieve.

Haley's co-teacher told her she wasn't sure why she was in her group  and that she just needs a little extra help. I guess Haley never realized that before and those few words were really good for building her confidence. I reminded her that if she would use the tools they were giving her to push her from border line to general education they extra help could totally go away. She seemed to like the sound of that and seems motivated to do her best this year. Praying it sticks and doesn't wear off a few weeks in.

Katelynn has a different group of kids for the most part in her class and I hope that is good for her. Her teacher is seasoned and I really think she will do a good job of teaching self responsibility and helping her gain some of the confidence she lost last year when she was made fun of when someone didn't like her artwork. She is at that hard age where she is realizing not everyone is as nice and kind hearted as she is. She is getting some tough skin and realizing everyone's opinions do not count equally and she can't please everyone. I am hoping she'll blossom this year and next since she will be the only Fowler at her school with the big kids in intermediate.

Daniel liked school mostly, but its only the first day, so he isn't sure what he thinks about his teachers yet. He generally wants to do well, so I'm hoping to get some better feedback in the coming days.

Daniel started practice with his football team tonight. His coach is a Christian and offers prayer with whatever players after practice, which I think is pretty cool. Daniel's a little timid to block/tackle so we have to work on that. I told him this is the only time he has permission to let out the aggression he talks about. Hopefully tomorrow will be better at practice.

2 more work days until the early Thursday morning induction of Julia!

Busy times in the Fowler house!

No comments: