Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Learning From the Past

So I know this is probably TMI for some of you, but the truth remains the same. I have said many times that if we will learn from our trials and struggles, the next time we are faced with something similar, it will be easier to handle and worth the effort to not just get through it but to defeat the enemy, to rise above the struggle in God's strength.

I have always been a big proponent of nursing my children. With Seth, my goal was to nurse for a solid year until I was able to give him cows milk and not have to buy or supplement with formula. I met that goal, but it was not easy. For at least 6 months he wouldn't eat enough and he wasn't gaining weight like the doctors wanted him to. I tried multiple things at the suggestion of his doctors: Increasing my fat intake (by drinking more milk and ice cream myself), feeding him more often including waking him up to feed him (which I am against), making sure he sat up for 30 minutes after eating to aid digestion and decrease the frequency of spit ups, etc.

And each time I went back to the doctor, I felt like I was just not good enough to properly feed my son, that I wasn't doing enough and was failing him.

Yes, I made it through and Seth is totally fine, but it was definitely a struggle I had to rise above. Poor boy is still small for his age and I have the hardest time finding him pants that are both long enough and skinny enough for his waist. But he is fine. He is healthy and thriving.

So this time, with Julia, I had the same goals for myself and I don't see any reason that will be an issue. I feel like I've been down this road (the much more bumpy version) and I've learned to just keep moving forward one day at a time and things will work out.

I was a little concerned that she was only nursing on one side and maybe not getting enough nourishment, but I just kept going and that has evened out. I didn't stress or worry or blame myself for her "what ifs" but just kept going, doing what I knew from my previous experiences.

OK, let me make this spiritual, which is really where I was going with this.

How many times when God takes us down a path do we question and worry if things will turn out the way we expected? And yet, if we will keep on moving forward, trusting him one day at a time, we have learned from the past that God will see us through and take care of the details of our lives. And the next time we go through a similar battle, we can look back and remember where he has brought us through before and KNOW that he will do it again.

How many times did God remind the Israelites of his provision? Of the victories he had already won for them? Of his ever present hand in time of distress? Why? So they could build their faith to trust him more each day.

Reminds me of the song "Tis so Sweet to Trust in Jesus." There is a line in the chorus that says "how I've proved him o'er and o'er." And yet when we get in the middle of the struggle, we want to cry out to God, begging him to come through as if we aren't sure that he will. But he's done it before and will always show himself, again and again. That doesn't mean it will look exactly the same as before, but we can rest knowing that God will not leave or forget us, but will be God in our lives if we let him.

So take a moment and look back to where God has brought you from, to the many times he has taken care of you, not envious for days long past, but reminding yourself who your God is and what he is capable of.

No comments: