Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Sweet Addition

You'll be happy to know that I was able to take good notes during Julia's labor and delivery. I haven't crafted that post yet, but wanted to give a semi-quick update on Miss Julia in the mean time.

Today, she is 5 days o!d and has been such a sweet easy addition to our family. She sleeps almost all the time (unless she needs something). Seth was so alert from birth so that made him a bit more high strung, although I think he was a pretty easy baby as well.

Julia and I have got this nursing thing down. She isn't on a schedule really yet, but that will come. I really think the difference is my previous success nursing Seth for so long. And I'm not stressed about it. If you'll remember, the stress with nursing Seth was increased by his borderline  jaundice (which led to the suggestion to supplement with formula) and his inability to gain enough weight which I took personal responsibility for. This has been such a different experience.

She has slept two 4-6 hour stretches each night between feedings. During the day I feed on demand which is generally every 3-4 hours.

I think Seth's birth and the subsequent adjustment on our family was so much more stressful because our new adjustment with the other three kids. They are older now and taking more self responsibility regarding school work and are just growing up. They are very helpful mostly and my expectations are more realistic.

Seth's adjustment has been okay. I supposed he is a little more moody, but some of that is just him being almost 3. The older kids get to hold Julia quite a bit (depending on homework) and I am able to spend time with Seth unless Julia needs to be fed. It is working really well so far. Obviously I have more opportunity to hold her during the day and since she sleeps so much, i can lay her down and Seth and I get to cuddle on the couch. Grandparents and Bj are taking him out some so that helps him too I think. The real test will start the week Bj goes back to work.

Today Seth went to Bops with Bj and Maggie leaving Julia and I at home. I literally was almost bored. She slept, I fed her, gave her a bath, and watched a movie.

I am hopeful that being home for the next weeks will help get a schedule
with Julia and get the kids started on the right foot with school this year. If we can get some organizational and behavior patterns down before I go back to work, this could really be a corner turning year for them all.


No comments: