Thursday, December 12, 2013

Peace in The Chaos

Whatever you're doing inside of me,
It feels like chaos, but somehow there's peace.
It's hard to surrender to what I can't see.
I'm moving into something heavenly.
When I can't really describe what I am feeling, God always brings me back to this song by Sanctus Real and the lyrics seem to describe it all perfectly.

We live in a world full of chaos and that will never change. Whether we are in a time where everything is flowing together as it should or in the middle of a trial, there is always chaos. Because this world is not my home and my spirit man will never feel comfortable here. Unless I give in and deny who God has called me to be, there will always be at least a little bit of internal turmoil.

But in the middle of it all, there is a settled-ness, a peace that depends on the character of God that will carry me through. It is trusting in the one who never changes that allows me to have a firm footing in the middle of the crazy circumstances of life.

I am brought back to the passage of scripture that talks about the disciples who were on a ship in the middle of the storm. They were frazzled, frustrated, worried. All the while Jesus was in the bottom of the boat asleep. Not concerned about what was going on because he knew that he had authority over the storms.

I think a lot of us downplay the fact that Jesus was fully man. When we see Jesus and how he dealt with things, we tend to write it off with "of course it didn't bother him because he was God." But we aren't talking about God not being frazzled by the storm, we are talking about a man knowing that he had authority given to him by God and that was why he had peace. Yes, Jesus was fully God as well, but the scripture says he was tempted just as we are, so we need to realize, he had to choose whether he would be living in the chaos of the storm or the peace of trusting God, just like we do.

We have the same authority that Jesus had, given to us both by God. Our peace depends on trusting in the plans and purposes of the one who we have surrendered our lives to, knowing that though the chaos remains he gives peace in the storm.

No comments: