Sunday, October 5, 2014

Young Adults Sunday School Class

The class the BJ and I teach on Sunday mornings has officially been called college/career since it was started. In theory it is supposed to be the class people go to when they graduate high school and before they become "real adults" (whatever that is supposed to mean.) With that being said, there has never really been a point of promotion from our class. That means the class has evolved several times to be applicable to whomever the current audience is. 

We started with a group of girls who had been tossed around to a few different teachers who they either ran off or left teaching for whatever reason. I had known them all basically since birth, and they were all raised in the church like I was. Some from that group have gotten married and moved on and others just don't come for whatever reason, so none of the original class is there any more. Then it moved into a new group of recent high school graduates (mainly 2 guys) and a friend of mine who has chosen to be in that class (even though she doesn't really fit the target audience and she knows that and is okay with that.) Recently, we have grown to 3-4 young married couples with a couple of outliers.

It is really very different to teach to a group of people who you haven't known forever or haven't been in the same church with forever. I am really enjoying teaching them, but it is definitely different. It  has been good for me to learn to teach from a more foundations based level. Not on a lower level, but also not assuming they know the word or what my personal spiritual walk has been or what God has taught me. They aren't the most talkative bunch, but they seem interested and engaged, so that helps the teacher. 

The recent change in our Sunday School class is due to the way God is growing our church and I love being a part of it. For a while, I felt like there were only a few married couples our age that were in the same stages of life as we were. (I'm sure that was pre-kids). Now, I'm seeing more and more couples coming with kids and I really feel like I connect with more of them. Not really on a close BFF level, but more on an understanding of life level. And having kids has made me connect on a different level with some of the new families. I love how God puts us all together. In the past month or so the nursery has grown from Seth to 5 regulars from 0-2. I love it! I want him to have church friends to grow up with.

Times are changing, God is moving, and growth is happening! Praise God.

No comments: