Sunday, February 1, 2015

Sweet Conversations

Today between services, I was blessed to be a part of a conversation with a sweet lady from our church. She is an older lady with grown kids who I really look up to and see as a spiritual mother/grandmother in many ways.  We've never really spoken much over the years, but I know she's been through the test of time and has stayed faithful to God, and I admire that.

As Sister Perez and I passed each other in the hallway, she took a moment to ask me how I was doing. I shared with her some of the daily struggles of being a mom and we were able to connect and share stories. I have learned to value her wisdom. One of the things she said today that stuck with me is that even if your kids don't take your advice or choose to do things in the way you want them to, they will never forget what you said. What I took from that is that even if it feels your unsolicited and unwanted "help" is a waste, give it anyways (especially if you are encouraging your kids in the things of God).  Don't give up helping your kids because God put you there to lead them. Even if they don't seem to follow, keep leading and directing anyways. 

It was nice to get a little encouragement. I generally feel hopeful about my kids, even though life isn't always peachy. I've  learned to trust God and that my worrying won't change anything for the better, but will ruin my day and attitude.

On a side note, I love the way Sister Perez dresses. She isn't super trendy, but is classic and always looks put together and appropriate. I hope I dress as nice as her when I get older.

Tomorrow is my first baby doctor appointment, so I'm sure I'll update you all tomorrow evening. Sometimes I wake up and still can't believe we are pregnant again! Squeal!!

No comments: