Monday, October 5, 2015

Prayers Please

As I'm sitting here feeding my sweet girl, checking facebook, email, etc, I ran across a simple request from a friend. It wasn't directed at me specifically, and yet I took it upon myself to entertain the request.

Prayers please.

I know that facebook has made the world a lot smaller and has provided a place to express oneself, to share our lives in small bits with each other. I also know that facebook is not the complete picture (at least not for most of us).

And yet, it is not that uncommon to see a request for prayer. It made me wonder what this request was really asking for. Do people actually expect us to pray or is this one small way to let others know we are going through something? That we'd appreciate support during this time. That we and our lives are not perfect but that we are struggling.

And does every person who likes that status actually pray or is it an acknowledgement that we see the posted status and recognize or understand the sentiment?

And who do they expect their friends to pray to? As a Christian I would assume the status refers to the god of the Bible, but there are others who pray to another god. Or does the poster just want someone to do something to help them? Do they want a "like" so they don't feel alone.

Today I took up the request, and asked God for a miracle on their behalf. Because I actually believe God still does miracles. That he isn't some pie in the sky idea but a real, loving, caring God that is able to even move mountains and control nations and rulers so that his will is accomplished on earth. To show his love for people who only call out to him when their plans and methods aren't getting the desired result (in addition to those with relationship with him).

And I wonder how many times God moving on behalf of someone with no relationship with him has brought them to a place of gratitude. To a realization that they are not alone and God does desire to be near to them. To a realization of their need for a savior.

Today at church we sang a song that says "you do miracles so great" and it made me question my faith level. Yes, it is easy to look back and see what God has done, but do I pray expecting miracles now? In my current situation of life. So I used this song as a statement of faith. Declaring God to be a miracle worker for some of the needs I see around me. Calling miracles by the hand of God into the lives of his people.

So if you ask me to pray (and i see your facebook status and I'm reminded of my obligation as a servant of a miracle working God) you can know that at least one person is lifting up your need before a God who can and will meet you where you are.

Because I don't take prayer lightly and I KNOW in whom I believe and HE IS ABLE!

No comments: