Thursday, December 31, 2015

My Haley Girl

Any one out there with a teenage or pre-teen girl? I see that hand. That sad, worn out, frustrated, exhausted hand. Those girls give us a run for our money. 

Between trying to exert their independence and being clearly smarter than us and knowing everything,  I would say this is probably the most difficult age to parent. (Although I'll probably change my mind when the next stage comes.)



I love Haley, really I do, its just hard to be in the same room with her some times. :)

So I've been choosing my battles wisely. Trying to show her that I'm okay with her growing up as long as she can be responsible. And trying very hard to show respect to her especially when it isn't mutual and give her the benefit of the doubt rather than remind her of her negative tendencies. And pray for her A LOT rather than try and force her to mature and be respectful. (Please don't read any of this to mean I am perfect, because I'm not even close.)

In the past couple of days she has randomly come over to give me a hug or tell me thank you for little things. The other day when she was doing her nightly devotions she thanked God for us. These are all little things, but I'm choosing to see them as an answer to prayer. A step in the right direction.

I really want to have a close relationship with my Haley Girl (all my kids, really, but I'm not worried as much about the other 4), so I hope we are seeing the beginning of some mutual respect at least.  I know we won't always agree, but as long as she knows I love her, we've at least got some ground to build on.

No comments: