Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Memorial Songs

Remember when the Isrealites crossed the Jordan River? Joshua had one man from each tribe pick up a stone from the middle of the river and they built a memorial. As a reminder of what God had brought them through.

I feel like in my life, instead of stones, there are certain songs that remind me of a battle/struggle I had to face and overcome or a shifting from one chapter to another. Memorial songs.

The song that keeps showing up kind of unexpectedly right now is "Forever" By: Kari Jobe. It is traditionally sung around easter, and it isn't really the meaning or lyrics that has made it a Memorial, but the song itself.

Easter Sunday I was pushed to lead this song at church. It has too big of a range for me to sing comfortably (Kari can sing!!) and I really didn't want to sing it, let alone lead it. But I did it anyways.

Looking back for me, that was a turning point. In how I push myself toward uncomfortable obedience. Toward letting my worship truly be raw and from the heart. Toward being confident enough to try new things that may be accepted or rejected and being okay with that. Before that point I was too scared of failure to try anything different. In worship. In singing. In leading others. But I did it and God used it for his glory.

And I remember that all when I hear that song.

For God to truly have his way in our lives, we have to be okay with the uncomfortable. Often, we pray for favor and ease in our obedience. But it isn't easy obedience that's build character, it's facing the lions that come our way and not running from them scared. If our goal is really God's will and pleasure in our lives, our prayers are misplaced when we ask for comfort and ease and a "fix it" for our problems. Instead, we should pray for God's will and his glory, which most certainly does not mean an easy way out for us. But he's worth it. So worth it.

No comments: