Friday, July 15, 2011

Surgery Update

So the surgery went well today. It really wasn't a big deal at all. I convinced them to let me keep my contacts in (since I sleep in them anyway and am really blind without them), and was so happy I did. (Thanks Dondi for letting me know I could ask!) The IV didn't bother me at all as I kinda feared it would freak me out. (In the past I have been known to get squeamish and freak myself out to the point of fainting and/or vomiting. It is not pretty, and it's been a while so maybe I've outgrown it or just learned not to watch.) All the nurses and doctors were really nice. The anesthesiologist introduced himself as the one who was going to give me a nap. He was the much needed comic relief and made me feel comfortable and relax. Once he gave me anesthesia, they started rolling me down the hall and I remember saying, "This stuff works fast" as I was starting to get dizzy already. And the next thing I remember is waking up in recovery. I was shivering and my throat hurt from the tube. Those heated blankets are wonderful! I need a blanket warmer at home (oh, I guess that would be a drier. duh!). My mom and BJ came back shortly and told me Dr. Le said everything looked perfect. He said now he is comfortable being more aggressive with the meds for the next cycles. That is good and bad at the same time. I really wanted them to find something, so it could be fixed, but I am thankful nothing needed to be done because that means my recovery will probably be easier. All day I pretty much laid in bed reading and playing on my phone. I was able to sleep from about 1 -6 off and on, but was really unable to eat anything as sitting up made me nauseous, or cramp or a combination of the two. The weirdest thing is that I have shoulder pain. Apparently the gas they put in me to be able to separate the organs easily causes shoulder pain after the fact. I think its funny that I had pelvic surgery and have shoulder pain. That is going to be fun to explain in the next few days. :) So about 9, after laying in bed trying to solve the boredom for 3 hours or so I tried to get up again and eat something. I am now on the couch, watching TV, and playing on the computer. I am feeling better than I have felt yet, so hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow a new woman. I am eating pickles and may pop some popcorn. I know it isn't the healthiest choice, but at this point I am eating anything I can that sounds good because I am starving. I haven't eaten really since last night. Tomorrow I get to take off the band aids and get a shower. I am really curious to see how small the incisions are. I guess when you have never had surgery, everything is interesting to you. :) Today we submitted our home study for another sibling group. They are 3 and 2 and the oldest is a girl, youngest a boy. They have birthdays soon in the fall so they will both be the oldest kids in their grade levels at school. They are both classified as basic. (All kids come into the system as basic and then over time based on foster parent and therapist observation, can get moved to higher levels such as moderate or therapeutic as determined by their physical, mental, and emotional needs.) From the small amount of information we know, my only hesitation comes from the fact they are only 13 months apart. Once again, just putting ourselves out there and waiting to see if it's God's kids for us. And God is able to provide what we need to meet the needs of these kids if this is his plan. On a separate note, read a really good blog by a friend today about giving up control to God. Although the circumstances are different, the sentiment is the same as mine has been, so I can definitely relate. You may enjoy reading her perspective here.

2 comments:

~The Neaves Nest~ said...

I'm glad everything was ok! I thought about you throughout the day today. Ugh, the shoulder pain was a lot more painful than the incisions or the scraping I had done. In fact, I didn't merkin in my last comment bc I was hoping you wouldn't have any. More me it got worse that night and the next. Hopefully yours will decrease over the next several hours/day.

Holly Reid said...

Thanks for the comment...I'm so glad your surgery went well...thinking of you often!