Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Overwhelmed

I feel like I've answered the question "How was your weekend with the kids?" a million times, so I'm sure you all want to know as well. You aren't going to like my answer, but it was good. There really aren't any specifics that I'd like to share except to say that things are still going well with us and the kids. I know that everyone wants every detail, but for now the fact that things are moving closer to adoptive placement should be enough to keep you happy. I've been in a little of a funk since we came home Saturday night. I think its a combination of feeling overwhelmed and being exhausted of this process. I feel like everyone wants some important piece of information from me, but I really don't have anything to offer at this point. The process is slow for a reason. And I'm used to that, but sometimes feel like my answers to everyone's questions are not sufficient to satisfy their curiosity. So I'm sorry that I haven't been the most expressive or informative to fill your inquiring minds. We have only been with our kids two weekends for a total of about 24 hours including sleeping time, so we don't know everything about them. I haven't thought it was important to sit them in the corner and drill them on all their favorites, so I don't know. I know you are all just asking to show you care, but if you can just be patient and give me time to process and figure out this transition for us and the kids, it will ease my stress a little. :) Yes, I am in a place of overthinking everything and trying to be the best parent I can for these kids. But unlike conventional parents, I don't get the luxury of starting with one child who doesn't talk or have an opinion. I get three, who definitely have opinions, and I have to get to know. I know this is my choice and I know this is where God wants us (I feel like a broken record I've said that so much) but this is my blog and I am venting. I have never been a parent before and I don't have a clue what I am doing. And I am feeling overwhelmed. It comes and goes in spurts, but please be patient with me for the next few weeks before the placement happens (and I'll probably need some grace from you after they move in as well.) So as of right now, the kids are coming here on Saturday morning and leaving Sunday afternoon. They are flying up with a worker who will drop them off at our house and pick them up to take them home. Between now and then I have to get a third bed (it's being delivered tomorrow), get the bed put together, get the bedding situated, and buy the kids new clothes for Sunday (as I promised them I would). Lucky for me, they aren't coming Friday night. That just may push me over the edge. Oh yeah and I need to get prepared for Sunday. I don't know when they are going home, but just in case, I need to buy them some quiet things to do during the second service so they don't get bored. Also, I am praying now that they will be okay going to their Sunday School classes and children's church Sunday morning. I know they will enjoy it more than being with us, but I am not sure if K (the youngest) will leave my side. I think Sundays are going to be the biggest adjustment for all of us. We are waiting on some paperwork to come through from the state and then they will plan the placement. We still don't know when that is and when we do, we'll tell you. Promise! I am sooooo in over my head, so I am just praying for some grace to make it through the transition and the next couple of weeks.

1 comment:

Paula-Beth said...

I get overwhelmed MANY times with just my one three year old, so I can only imagine what you're going through!! I will pray for strength, multiplied rest, and things to go really smoothly.

As for Sundays...always carry snacks and activities (color books, washable crayons, a quiet toy) just in case!;-)