Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Ready or Not, Here We Come

We got the kids files last Wednesday night and I was up until 1:30 in the morning reading them.  Because I couldn't put it down.  Because I knew I was leaving for Chicago Friday morning.  Because I wanted to. So I left for Chicago with a pretty good feeling as to what I wanted to do regarding the kids.  The plan was that BJ would finish the files over the weekend and we would discuss when I returned.

While in Chicago, God spoke very clearly to me as to where he was leading us.  Sunday morning at church, the sermon was about James 1:19-27. The pastor talked about how we all live so comfortably and God says that pure religion is getting out of our comfort zone and helping others. (verse 27) At the close of the sermon, he showed a video of all these orphans in other countries who need someone to do something.  It reminded me of those Feed the Children commercials. Granted, it was kind of a ploy to get emotions worked up, which I really hate, but God used that moment to remind me that he is giving these kids to us.  No, it won't always be easy, and yes it does require me getting out of my organized, planned, comfortable self to make an impact, but they are a gift from him, an opportunity to get past myself. So I stood there with tears running down my face, receiving confirmation once again that we are right where we need to be.

My "discussion" about the kids with BJ was less emotional and dramatic, as can be expected.  He basically said he didn't see anything in the file that would deter us from them.  So it was settled.
I e-mailed Mala and she is in the process of setting up our presentation staffing with the kids' foster parents and case worker so we can ask any questions we have and hear first hand about the kids.  At that meeting, if everything goes well, we will also schedule our three pre-placement visits before they move in with us.

So I am ready. And scared. And excited. And anxious. But mostly ready for life to change for us. For them. Yes, there is still a lot of unknown which I don't particularly care for, but I am reminded that His grace is sufficient for me and His power is made perfect in weakness. (II Corinthians 12:9)

No comments: