Saturday, February 11, 2012

Working Mom

Today I am linking up with Kelly's Korner Show Us Your Life-Working Mom's post.  I am a day late (sorry) as she did this yesterday, but who really has time to blog on a Friday evening?  Not me, or at least not me this week. I have never done this before, but really needed a topic to blog about since my brain is dead today.

I am new to being a working mom.  Not because I haven't been working, but because I have only been a mom for 17 weeks. (Isn't is crazy how fast time has flown?)  I love the way that sounds. Mom. For anyone who is venturing over to my blog that isn't a normal reader, let me catch you up really quickly.  We got adoptive placement of a sibling group of three kids ages 8, 6, and 5 on October 15th.  The adoption will be final some time in April we are hoping.  So unlike most new moms, I am enjoying my sleep (the kids are in bed by 8:30) and am dealing with elementary kid issues and not baby issues.

I always knew I would be a working mom.  Not because I don't love kids but because that is just normal to me.  My mom was a nurse (and still is) while my sister and I were growing up and I never really thought anything about it.  So working and being a mom has been what I always thought would happen in my life.  I have never even considered not working for that reason and because I like being in a two income home.  And it is doable for me right now.  I won't say there aren't days I regret the juggling act I am undertaking to balance three kids and their school activities and working a fulltime+ job and a husband.  And there are days when I want to just hang out and I can't because I have things to do that didn't get done during the week.  But it all works out.  I really try to spend my evenings with them (before they go to bed). And my kids know I love them. 
Right now we are more busy than usual since we are still in the pre-adoptive state and have therapist coming once a week, adoption coordinator visits once a month, psychiatrist visits once a month, and CPS visits once a quarter.  That and just getting all the first doctors and dentist appointments done has been crazy. But some of that will slow down a little in a few months.

I think the main thing that allows me to feel still connected to my kids is our Bible time every night. It isn't much but it is constant.  A little Bible story, a few songs together, and prayers.  It is very important to me that they know that spending time with God is a priority. And every night we tuck them in and give them each special hugs and kisses.

We also try really hard to eat dinner together as a family.  Most of the time it works, but it really depends on how late I am working and if someone is coming over that night for a monthly, quarterly, or weekly visit. 

We have both sets of grandparents living within 10 minutes from us, so they take turns picking the kids up from school and watching our baby until her pre-K which starts at 12:20. We are so grateful that they get to spend time with their grandkids and allow me to be able to work.  Right now, I am kind of removed from homework and such since either our moms or BJ, my husband deal with that right after school while I am still at work.

I feel like I am adjusting well to the balancing act and trying to fit everyone in and be involved.  I don't think I could do it if we added extra curricular activities besides church right now.  Our plates are full, but God is faithful to help us all be understanding of the sacrifices that have to be made so I can work and be a mommy at the same time.

No comments: