Saturday, October 26, 2013

Man of My Dreams

When we first met, over 14 years ago, I had no idea we would go on to get married and share this wonderful life together or that he would be the man I needed him to be. Of course at 16 years old I knew what I wanted in a husband, but didn't know what I needed from that relationship. But God knew.
My list of requirements (which wasn't really written down anywhere) wasn't very long but most of the requirements were non-negotiable. I didn't have any physical requirements other than the fact he must be taller than me (which isn't hard to find). This is probably because as a person who has never been much for spending hours getting ready, and has always been self conscious about my lovely skin, I didn't really feel like I had any right to demand physical things a person may not have any control of. (That is not to say I didn't have crushes on the Zack Morris' and Corey Matthews of the world, I just never considered them marriage material or good looks to be pertinent qualities of my future life partner.) The one main quality I required was a man that loved Jesus and shared my religious views. I didn't want to be the spiritual leader of my house, not because I don't love God but because it should be the mans job to show his kids how to love Jesus. To be the spiritual head of his household. 

When I met Bj, I knew he loved God but he was quiet, and that kind of concerned me. How do you lead your family when you are so quiet? But I also knew that he loved me and was committed to me, and was willing to do whatever it took to please me. And although his personality  was not what I thought I would find in my future husband, he had a quiet strength that mellowed me out when I was emotional, that stood strong when I was stressed out or indecisive.  He is the one that assured me we were being led by God into adoption. That held me as I cried month after month of negative pregnancy tests. That has stepped up to the plate to parent our kids with me .

Which  brings me to the reason I am writing this post. These past 2 years and the past year in particular, he has grown so much. As a father. As a husband. As a leader. For the past month he has been the cook, the maid, and whatever I have needed and without me even asking.  I am so grateful that God knew he would become the man of my dreams when he put us together.

 

No comments: