Saturday, August 16, 2014

Haley Bailey

I realized a few days ago that I really have been bad about keeping the blog updated about the kids this summer. I have no problem sharing what God is speaking to me, but have been a little less intentional about the kids. I guess you could say that no news is good news. Or I don't want to broadcast things going on with the kids. I have been kind of intentional in not embarrassing my kids on some issues, so I've decided not to post about them. And as humans (or maybe it is me) I don't tend to find things blog-worthy when they are status quo. I really need to change that. So we will start with Haley.

I don't really know when I started calling Haley "Haley Bailey." It isn't her name, but just comes out sometimes. I guess it's kind of fun! She hasn't said anything about it, so I guess she doesn't hate it.

Well she has been asking me for a while to have a mother-daughter date with her, so I planned for it to be today. The other kids and BJ were supposed to go visit Bop and Memo today (BJs grandparents), which would have made the whole day a day for just the two of us to run errands and whatever else without any other kids around. That didn't happen, so we made the best of it and she tagged along on a few things this morning.

We went to Creative Hands and each painted a piece. She chose a penguin and I did a plate.


  (Man I look tired in these pics. I am sure it is due to my Saturday-less-fuss-ness. You know, no makeup and not straightening my hair. The angle makes me look like I have 4 chins, but I am just not a selfie pro like some of ya'll, so have some mercy!)

It was a lot of fun, but took longer than I expected. After that, we ate lunch at Schlotzsky's. She'd never been there before that she could remember and really enjoyed her pizza. I will have to remember that for the future.

Next, she went with me to Kohl's to spend my birthday money. I usually make those trips alone, and although she didn't have much of an opinion, it is nice to get her two cents. I guess I like just hanging out and having conversations in the car and in between errands and such without being interrupted by the littler kids. (I think that's what she likes too.) Her and I have similar personalities (as typical first children) so we don't always see eye to eye. We both have ideas of how things should be done and don't really do a good job of sharing our opinions without making the other feel bad. We are working on it, but I definitely have to try harder with her since we are so much alike and tend to bump heads more often.

Last stop was to get her hair trimmed before school. Nothing noticeable, just a fresh cut.

She is nervous and excited about 5th grade at the new school with changing classes for the first time. She has a lot of questions that I can't answer right now (because each school is a little different). On Thursday we have schedule pick up and should be able to go around to her classes and get the hang of how her days will go. I have planned for her and I to go without the others (who also have meet the teacher that night).

I am really excited for her and think she will enjoy the responsibility that no one else in my house has and really excel in that. The situation forces her to mature some and step up to do her best and I am praying she does just that. She is growing up before my eyes into a beautiful young lady. It's hard to believe this is the 4th school year we have had them with us. (It'll be 3 years since their placement in October.)

I love that girl and love spending time with her. I am going to try and make it to eat lunch with each of my kids once every 6 weeks this year. (Haley is excited about it!) I am hoping they will look forward to that time and enjoy just something special with me and them.

One more week until summer is over and I am so ready!! Don't think the kids are as excited, but life is a little easier with a more constant routine, even if homework gets thrown into the mix.



No comments: