Thursday, March 12, 2015

A Good Book

Lately I've gotten into reading again. I think it started when a friend had surgery and I offered her some booms to read that I really enjoy. When she politely declined because she had stocked up on books in preparation of her surgery, I decided to pick up my favorite fiction series and read it again for the third time. (The series contains about 15 books so this is no small task.)

I much prefer fiction to nonfiction reading as it is kind of an escape for me. I enjoy nonfiction if the author is good and the topic is relevant to me, but I tend to start and not finish nonfiction books much more often than fiction.

So I've decided to push myself a little and set a goal of reading 12 books this year (2015). I'm close to the end of my second book, so I'm not that far behind. Also, after I finish my current book, I am requiring myself to read a nonfiction book between fiction books. Granted, the books will probably be smaller, but maybe the goal and rules I'm setting for myself will encourage some personal growth this year. Honestly I need to stop being lazy. I have at least 3-4 nonfiction books I need to read so hopefully this will push me in that direction!

Pastor always says if you want to see who you will be in 5 years, look at what you are reading right now. Not sure if I totally agree, but I do know I have a lot of learning to do and it won't happen if I don't avail myself to the resources in front of me.

No comments: