Sunday, March 29, 2015

Rule Follower

If you know me, I am a rule follower almost to a fault. I like things to be fair and am quite frustrated when I do extra work in order to make sure that rules are followed and someone else takes a shortcut without any consequences.

So when I started this goal to read 12 books this year and require that every other book be nonfiction (usually self help or spiritual growth books), and when I got stuck on a certain nonfiction book I just couldn't let it go. Then my mom, in her logical down to earth way, suggested I skip through the book to the chapters that interested me.

And a lightbulb went off.

Goodness, I won't even change or go around my own rules and honestly, that adds so much stress to my life. So why did I create this rule anyways? Because I wanted to force myself to learn and grow spiritually and not just get wrapped up in reading for pleasure. So by reading parts of a book, no I am not technically reading a book and probably won't include it in my total, for honesty sake, but I will still accomplish my goal of personal growth  and be able to get back to my fiction books.

No comments: