Sunday, March 12, 2017

In the Books

The first Sunday with our new pastor is done. And we definitely made the right choice. Or at least that's how I feel.

I remember seeing his resume the first time through and I remember feeling excited. And hopeful. And a bit apprehensive. He was younger than most of the applicants, but had some good pastoral experience in a smaller church. I was unsure if he was as good in person as on paper, if we'd get along with him, if they'd be our friends, if he was the one or if I just wanted another family our age in the church.

He tried out and the service seemed to go almost too smoothly. He was the second in line of three candidates. The people seemed to respond to him. There was excitement in the air.

But was it God's leading or just hype? You know how you go to a special service and have a great speaker and it is very easy to get overwhelmed by the charisma, only to notice later that is all it was? Yeah, I didn't want that for a pastor, I wanted God's man and I tried so hard to discern the difference.

So we voted and he was elected, by almost 80% of the vote. I was so glad that the church body for the most part was in unison. Such a big decision and I really prayed for it to be a unifying vote and not a dividing one. And God answered. Praise God!

Within days of the vote, they had invited us to their home. It was such a great night. Kids playing around us and just good fellowship with our new pastors. The transition has been relatively easy. And the fit is just right. I can't really describe it any other way. They have found their new family and we have found our new leader.

There is a big difference between the prior pastor and this one (not better or worse, just different) and still it's going to be good. I feel like I just keep saying that. He has a pastor's heart for the church and a heart for God. I'm so honored to be a part of this church under his leadership and am excited to see what God will do!

I hope that Pastor's Sid and Heather feel as loved as they are at RLC. Welcome home!

No comments: