Saturday, March 18, 2017

Letting Go of the Past

Last Sunday , Pastor Sid preached about letting go of the past from Philippians 3:13. (This was only one point in his sermon, but the one I'm gonna talk about for a bit.)

I'm generally pretty good at not letting the devil beat me up with my past. I've learned to not give anything he says a second thought, so at first I just agreed on surface level and then moved on to whatever else he was saying.

But last night I realized how pertinent that is to our church as a whole, on a corporate level.

I suppose we all expect change with a new pastor. We'd be ignorant not to. And yet, every step made from here on out will be compared to "the way we've always done it." That's not always a bad thing, but there is no room for either dwelling on the good old days or focusing on what was done previously that will now change (for the better or worse.) Obviously, you have to know where you are to get moving forward (he talked about that too), but there is no reason to even bring up old issues at this point. It doesn't benefit anyone and actually wastes mental and emotional space.

So I'm making a promise to myself to not even go there. We are where we are for a reason and even if getting here wasn't ideal in some ways, here we are. God's knows where we are he will lead us where he wants us to be. He's given us a leader we need to trust and follow into this new chapter for our church.

No comments: