Sunday, March 19, 2017

Significance

The excitement of a new pastor is contagious. I knew the church would change under new leadership, but never thought about how that would all change me.

I knew I would be taking on new roles. I knew I would be busier and more involved by default, but I never expected what I'm seeing in me.

There is a new excitement to fulfill the positions God has given me and a new desire to step up and be a leader. Over time, I had just gotten used to doing certain things, like playing the piano/helping lead worship and teaching our Sunday School class. I knew they were important and I was happy to do them, but I wasn't really stepping up, taking initiative to do them to the fullest, or using the gifts of God any more than to facilitate what needed to be done.

Not that there is ever a sufficient excuse but I was kinda in autopilot. Life is busy and I learned how to juggle my tasks, get them all done pretty well and feel successful. And that served me for a season.

As we look forward to the growth of our church in this new chapter, each role I play seems more significant. Just to give you one example, for years I hated practicing for praise and worship. Playing the piano with ease is an ability God has given me. I knew the songs or learned them pretty quickly, so it felt like a waste of my time. I had so many other things I could be doing, and generally left practice feeling frustrated at the little that was accomplished. Ok, my attitude was so selfish and really may have contributed to us practicing so infrequently.  But, this week I've been finding new worship songs to learn and teach the team. I've found my happy place in worship again. My downtime at home is spent learning new material and worshipping, just me and my piano (usually with a 18 month old in my lap or dancing in the background.)

God knows I'm not sharing this so people with give me accolades, but maybe someone else needs to be reminded that their work for the kingdom is significant, worth doing with your entire being. We had a prophecy in church and God spoke saying, "the best is yet to come." What a word of encouragement from the one who loves us more than we can even articulate!

You are significant, and your giftings and callings are by the special design of a creator who has called you on purpose for his purpose! Don't let the enemy of your soul rob you of the joy you can only find by living in full obedience to his calling!

No comments: