Sunday, November 23, 2014

Thankful for the Presence

This morning God showed up in our service. Like he does often. Not that there's anything special about my church except that we want God to come and inhabit our praises and we give him room to move according to his plans.

And because God is moving so regularly it would be so easy to take him for granted. To assume that God will always show up when we are at the point of need. 

Don't get me wrong. God is faithful and often shows up when we need him, but the Bible clearly talks about seeking God while he can be found. The inference is that there is a time when he won't be found. So when God manifests his presence in a church service or otherwise, if we treasure him and find him valuable, we will enter into his presence and minister to him and allow him to minister to us. We shouldn't expect God to show up at our leisure.  When he comes he wants to touch us, and usually has a specific need he wants to meet. That opportunity may not come again. We can miss God's blessings and anointing because we assume God will always show up at our beck and call.

I don't remember a time in my life when God didn't show up at church regularly. I know that God has blessed our church in that way and I'm not bragging, but just telling you where I am coming from. So it would be very easy for me to lose the wonder, the awe, the gratefulness for his presence. To treat the King of Kings as ordinary and common. But I have made a conscious effort to not let myself be that way.

I have a good friend who has felt God's presence less often than I have because of his upbringing and the churches he has attended. And each time we've discussed what those experiences were like he has said he just can't understand how someone could feel God in that powerful way and decide not to give God his/her life or walk away unchanged. I have never known someone as grateful for God's presence as he is. Our friendship constantly reminds me how blessed we are. How good God is.

My prayer is that God will give us a hunger for more of him, an appreciation for who he is, and the desire to pursue him in greater ways than ever before.






No comments: