Monday, November 17, 2014

Heavenly Hymns

One of the things I really like about hymns is the focus on heaven. We just don't get that much in the modern praise and worship. I think we sing more songs about being with God in heaven and being amazed (which are both true of heaven) but hymns speak of celebration, of the excitement and joy that heaven will be.

Everybody will be happy will be happy over there.
We will shout and sing God's praises.
Everybody will be happy over there.

When we all get to heaven
What a day of rejoicing that will be
When we all see Jesus
We'll sing and shout the victory.

I've heard this saying and I'm not sure where.
Don't be so heavenly minded that you aren't any earthly good.
I think the church as a whole has shifted from being so focused on heaven to the here and now. I don't think its a bad thing, but I definitely think some balance is needed.

There is some validity in the thought that we are not just saved to go to heaven but that we can experience victory here in our Christian walk. But there is also some truth in the fact that this world is not our home. We are just pilgrims on a journey to our real life. This life is important and how we choose to live for God or not is important, but this is just the pre-show, the appetizer, If you will, for the rest of our lives.

And the rest of our existence in heaven will be awesome. It is something to look forward to. It is the reason we keep on going day after day. Because there is more than this. Praise God!

What a day that will be when my Jesus I shall see.
When I look upon his face, the one who saved me by his grace.
When he takes me by the hand and leads me through the promise land.
What a day glorious day that will be.

No comments: