Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving Week - Day 4 & 5

Thanksgiving was spent at my parent's house. Going over there is nice for me because I know the kids can play and not get themselves in trouble or into something they aren't supposed to, so I can chill out. The food was good as usual, but the kids were sad that their "cousins" weren't there. They live in Grand Prairie like my parents but we really only see them over the holidays. They had a lot of family in town (on the other side) so they hosted at their house for them.

Bj had to work at 3, so left kinda early. Actually by 4, the only people left were us, my sister and her family, and my parents. The girls (my mom, sister and me) played Nertz for a while in between the distractions of little kids. It was nice and we haven't actually gotten to do that for a while. We used to play games every holiday, but that changes when there are babies everyone has to attend to.

We came home about 8 and Bj was home by 10.

We had hoped to go shopping for living room furniture today, but that plan was derailed when our ceiling was leaking and we had to call a plumber. It was discovered that the tile in our shower is basically not sealed well and we were advised to not use that shower until we can get it fixed. So we are stuck using the kids bath/shower combo until then. Needless to say, their shower will be the cleanest its been since we moved here because I refuse to use their shower without it being clean. They are just kids and they don't care what shape their shower is in.  It's a little gross. It only gets cleaned when the cleaning lady comes every 4 weeks. It will be an inconvenience more than anything.

Which is why I pushed Bj to find someone to come ASAP to talk about the repairs/remodel. We aren't quite sure what we are doing besides getting our shower retiled. They are coming tomorrow morning. Depending on cost, we may do some unnecessary, but definitely nice upgrades in addition to just the bare minimums.

The plumber did also look at another area we thought was leaking slowly, and fixed it while he was here. We'll have to get some sheet rock patched and a wall repainted at some point.

Today I finished decorating the inside of the house and got the lights up on the house. I can't find some of my outside extensions/ power strips so I need to buy some replacements and our lights will be good to go.

For dinner we went to IHOP. Speaking of food, Seth has done deal well eating today. And I didn't give him his pacifier except to nap this afternoon. He ate cinnamon toast crunch cereal for breakfast, cheese and crackers for lunch, and eggs and pancakes for dinner. I think his teeth must not be hurting him as much or his stomach is growing back to normal size.

If you'll remember, Seth pretty much gave up his pacifier at about 18 months without really even a fight. One day, he just decided he didn't want it. Well in the last few weeks, he's been sick, more clingy and giving me a such a fit about eating, especially in a restaurant. So either he has asked for it more, been whiny more, or I've gotten soft and given in. Either way he thinks he has to have it often and asks for it by saying "Can I have my paci back?" Yeah, he's way too smart and talking really well for his age. But after yesterday realizing I've just been too easy, I decided not to give it to him unless he is going to sleep (and he doesn't have to have it then, but it's my compromise for now). So I had to distract and redirect a lot, but he only had it for nap today and he is sleeping without it tonight. Bj had to take him upstairs so I could decorate this morning. He was screaming for me and his paci this morning. He sounded so pitiful I was in tears decorating. But eventually he got playing and I got things done and he didn't win. Practice makes progress.

This afternoon, Bj lost his wedding ring in the front yard. We were all out front. Some were playing catch, others riding bikes/scooters and some putting up lights. Bj really has needed to get his ring sized or something since he's lost weight. He went to catch the football and the ring flew off his finger. We searched for a while and then gave up while Bj posted on Facebook asking for a metal detector. While we were eating dinner, his parents came over with their metal detector and found the ring. We were so relieved.

Tonight after the kids went to bed, Bj and I ordered Christmas cards and got pictures printed.

Even though the day didn't go as planned, and furniture shopping got put on hold until we figure out what the renovations are going to cost, the day still felt productive. I only have 3 things left on the list for the week and hope to get to teach the kids to play Clue tomorrow. I loved that game as a kid and hope they love it as well.

Only 2 days left until it is back to work...

No comments: