Monday, October 3, 2011

Meet H - The Firstborn

I am starting a little mini series on my blog where I share things I've learned about each of our children in the three short visits we have had with them. I know that soon, these stories will be overlooked by new adventures and new struggles, so I am recording them because I don't want to forget a thing. H is our 7 year old daughter and she is full of life. From the moment we met her, she was the most engaged and welcoming. She almost immediately starting calling us Mommy and Daddy. Their therapist had told them about us and tried to prepare them for the transition to their forever family. She loves to talk and is very curious about everything. She is not afraid to speak her mind or tell you what she thinks she "needs" and you should buy her. She will do anything to make you happy and is a big helper, volunteering assistance all the time. In a lot of ways, she is like me. I guess as much as any first born is like another. Always wants to be in control, taking care of everyone else, the leader. Her favorite colors are baby blue, purple, red and hot pink and she informed me that they change all the time. She asks us to turn the music up in the car and sings with the radio, pretending like she knows the words when you can tell she really doesn't. She "needs" a jewelry box and some jewelry to wear just like me. And this 7 year old wants ruffled socks. I bought some for her sister, but not her. I thought she may think it was too girly, but obviously I didn't know her very well when I opted for the plain white socks. But I definitely need to find some for her before she visits again. She attempted to wear her sister's socks that were way too small, just because they had ruffles. I wouldn't let that fly. Everything is a competition with her. Including getting ready for bed and getting her seatbelt buckled. And school. She is very proud of her straight A's. I secretly think this is why she is the one of our children that enjoyed fishing longer than the others. She was determined to catch more fish than anyone else. (FYI -They were fishing at a stocked pond, but very few people actually caught anything.) On the way home from the park, H and K rode with BJ and D rode with me. According to BJ, at some point the girls decided they should race us home and were chanting "Go, BJ, Go!" When she saw there was an offering contest in Children's Church between the boys and girls, she came and found me so she could get her little coin purse out of the car and help the girls beat the boys, which they did. (We may need to start working on it being okay to make mistakes and be a good sport whether you win or not. I remember being devastated every time I wasn't perfect growing up. This sounds like payback. God has a funny sense of humor sometimes.) She loves to color and is actually quite good at it. We still have chalk drawings on our front sidewalk to prove it. She finished coloring her paper before Sunday School even started. Ms. Kim said she was a big helper, very eager to please. While we were watching a movie she crawled up and laid on the couch next to BJ with her head in his lap. Such a sweet girl! She is taller than the other girls at church her age (but they are small for their age). She may be our basketball or volleyball player. We'll have to wait and see. It's gonna be interesting to be looking up at my teenage daughter, but I'm sure we'll manage. It's been great getting to know her. I have a feeling it's going to be a lot like raising myself. Ha! I should start praying now!!

2 comments:

Kristine said...

I love reading "our daughter!!!" So excited and happy for you!!!

The Ziebarth Family said...

What a praise!!! So excited and overjoyed with you!!!