Friday, October 21, 2011

I LOVE Being a Mommy

The kids have been here close to a week so I thought I should update.  

The kids flew in on last Friday morning and we all met at our house to sign the paperwork for adoptive placement. The placement is supposed to take place at our house according to the state rules.  To get around that requires special approval which basically amounts to delaying placement. After placement, we went to McDs for a quick lunch on the way out of town.  That is right. As soon as we got the kids we packed up and headed back to Houston to get their bikes and a few other small things. The kids traveled really well.  I was prepared with a ton of coloring books, sticker books, and other paper to keep them entertained for the 4 hour trip each way.  We stayed the night in a hotel and headed back Saturday morning after picking up their bikes at the foster-parent's house.  They are kids so of course there was the normal "she's looking at me" and "he touched me" stuff going on, but for the most part they did really well. We learned very quickly that D loves making things out of paper (anything really) and tape and giving them away as presents to whomever he sees.  He is a very sweet boy and very giving.  On the trip we also learned that, apparently, if there are no houses on the side of the interstate, or none that K can see, then we can't possibly be headed home.  She was convinced we were going the wrong way.  She did better once we actually got to an area of I45 that included houses she could see from the truck.

By the time we got home, we were all ready to be out of the car for a while.  We went over to my parents for dinner on Saturday night (which allowed me to not have to cook) and they got to play with Grandma and Grandpa (my parents) and Nana and Papa (BJ's parents).

Sunday was church.  The loved children's church and their Sunday School classes.  The real test was making it through the 2pm service where the kids have to sit still and quiet through the preaching because there isn't any classes for them.  I had special sticker books and paperdoll books for the kids to color and they did well. 

Monday I went and registered the kids for school while BJ kept them entertained at home. Tuesday they started school and they all seem to be learning well and having a good time. K's pre-K doesn't start until 12:20 so she walks D & H to school with me and then we return home to hang out and play for a couple of hours before her school.  It is really nice that the school is basically across the street and we don't have to fight the driving traffic to get them to school. Right now BJ is off work so he is able to take K and pick the kids up so I can get some work in.  It is working well and I expect it will work well until he goes back to work on 10/31 and we have to figure out another plan so I can get my hours in and the kids can be taken care of. We have a couple of ideas as to how we will make it work.

A couple of things I want to remember about the kids' first week:

H loves school and is quick to do her homework as soon as she gets home.  We are working on her not being so independent.  It is okay to do things yourself but she needs to learn to let me look at all her stuff so we know we aren't missing anything.  I had asked her about spelling words earlier in the week and she told me she knew them.  Last night when I quizzed her on them, she didn't know them and hadn't even studied them.  No bueno.  So we studied them and I quizzed her until she knew all 16 words. Last night I also looked over her math homework and we had to talk about it to make sure she understood.  I think she rushes through it so it is done but isn't necessarily worried if they are right or not.  We are working on it and she is very smart, so I'm sure she'll get there if she'll let me help her and not try to do it all on her own.

D is so smart.  My proud mommy moment of the week is that he can spell constellation.  I think that it is a crazy 1st grade spelling word, but he conquered it.  He says he doesn't like school, but I can't figure out why because he is so smart.  Yes, we have to work at it a little, but his memory is very good.  Today is his first spelling test, so I hope he does well.  His first response to anything, whether he likes it or not is whining.  Hopefully, he won't get all worked up when the teacher tells him it is time for his spelling test. I have already seen improvements in this since he knows whining isn't going to change the fact he still has to do his homework and still has to brush his teeth, etc. I love when he cuddles up next to me during our Bible reading and prayer time each night.  We found out that he prefers button up shirts to t-shirts so I went and bought him quite a few.  I like little boys in polos or button ups, so I am happy with his choice.

K is my sweetheart and my baby.  She loves to be held and hugged.  She doesn't hug BJ as much, but she sure does know how to turn on the charm when she wants something. They learn so young. She has this funny thing she does where she stomps her foot and makes a serious staring face and then cracks up laughing.  She is silly.  She loves the kids praise and worship DVD we have and will watch it over and over if you'll let her.  She dances around the living room, doing the movements with the kids on the DVD.  When BJ gives me a hug or kiss, she tries to wiggle her way in between us to stop him.  She says it is gross. She freely gives out hugs and kisses, so there is a little of a disconnect.

We are all tired from our first week at school and are ready to be able to sleep in as late as we want tomorrow.  BJ says that means they'll all be up earlier than usual tomorrow.  I wouldn't be surprised.

Life isn't perfect, but overall things are going really smoothly and we are really excited to be at this place in our lives.  Sunday we are having an all church singing at the 2pm service and my kids are planning on singing.  We will see how that goes.  D keeps asking me if Daddy is singing with him and I keep saying yes. My plan to get BJ singing is working, maybe.  

2 comments:

Rachel Moss said...

I'm so glad your week went well! And yes, constellation is a crazy first grade spelling word. Was that the bonus word?

Sandra said...

There were some normal words (eat, of, etc) and then themed words (stars, clouds, constellation, etc). It wasn't even listed last so I have no clue if it was a bonus word, but by the time we were done studying he knew this word better than most of them. I am pretty sure getting him to show off for everyone helped reinforce that word.