Sunday, October 9, 2011

Moving In

I got a call on Friday from Erisha, the kids worker. She told me that she had talked to the foster mom and had told her she could start packing some of the kids things so we should expect to bring somethings home with us.  At first it was a bit overwhelming because it meant this was really happening. Then, I decided it would be a good idea to get some stuff before the kids come so I could get somethings organized and know more what I needed as far as storage and such. However, I did not expect this...


There was a huge box of clothes for each kid, three boxes of toys and other stuff and a trash bag of pillows.  Basically we ended up with almost everything they have except for a week worth of clothes, bikes, and a few toys.  So today I have been going through stuff, setting aside some items that are too small or stained for the kids to go through (because I don't want to throw away something from their past that means something to them). I am at a standstill as I have run out of hangers.  I have the girls stuff about half way gone through.  

Tomorrow after work it'll be a trip to get some hangers, storage bins, and a bookshelf maybe to put in the closet. And I have got to at least figure out what I am doing about a dresser for D.  That's a pretty big dilemma that I can't seem to solve at the moment.  I am pretty sure every night this week will be filled with running here and there to get things closer to ready for the kids.  It doesn't have to be perfect, but what I can get done now, I don't have to try and do with three kids in tow.  Dondi, one of my coworkers, said it would be nice to get a week without her kids to go through her boys' rooms, so I am definitely taking advantage of the time before the chaos begins.

And now for the big news...placement is scheduled for Friday!  The kids and their workers will be flying in Friday morning for us to sign some paperwork and make this official.  We are so excited!!  The adoption won't be final for 6 months, but effective after we sign the paperwork, the kids are essentially ours. Wow!

I keep getting asked if I'm ready and I don't really know how to answer that.  How can you be ready for everything you know nothing about?  People are trying to reassure us and honestly, I am ready to an extent. But you can never be fully prepared for something like this.  We are excited and we know the kids are too.

The timing could not be more perfect.  Because God knows what he is doing!  Our 10/15 deadline will be completed before I move to part time and the 11/15 deadline work for me is quite manageable at this point.  

5 days and counting.

No comments: