Friday, July 19, 2013

Flaws

Since I am not God (and I'd guess you aren't either) I have flaws. (Shocker, I know!) There are two ways to deal with flaws: hide them or embrace them.  Stay with me as I make a comparison here.

I have always had bad skin. I remember being in the 5th grade when I first started breaking out. And I have tried all sorts of things to fix it. We did oral meds, topical meds, face wash, birth control. But at some point I just decided this is what I look like.  And I have never successfully been able to cover up my blemishes with make up. I don't like looking over done (I'd guess I've learned that from my mom) and at some point the effort to hide blemishes is no longer worth it.  Most of the time I don't even realize there is something wrong with my skin and then someone tries to offer me a new way to fix it. And it makes me self conscious again.  Because I realize that when people see me, they see my skin as an issue that needs to be fixed. I hate it. It isn't fixable, unless God wants to heal me. It isn't because I don't wash my face or because I eat some certain food. It is genetic. The way God made me.

Ok, for the comparison.  We all have parts of our personality that we see as flaws. Maybe its impatience or anger or the need to control. Or maybe it's the other extreme: soft-spokenness, inability to step up, complacency.  We can try and cover it up, but eventually it will come out. By embracing our flaws and being honest where we are weak, we are able to help each other. When we hide the parts of ourselves that we don't like, others who are watching us think they are the only ones who struggle. And they feel alone instead of encouraged or strengthened. So I refuse to act as though I don't struggle and I don't have issues, because I'm convinced that my struggles will be strength to others for the glory of God. That goes back to why I blog, which I posted about yesterday.

I am not denying that our flaws need to be worked on, especially if it is a personality trait that is in conflict with the way God says his people should live. But we must remember what we were so we can relate to those who are coming from that place. We should share our struggles so we can gain strength and defeat the devil together.

Because two are better than one.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12   New International Version (NIV)

Two are better than one,
    because they have a good return for their labor:
10 If either of them falls down,
    one can help the other up.
But pity anyone who falls
    and has no one to help them up.
11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
    But how can one keep warm alone?
12 Though one may be overpowered,
    two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

No comments: